Monday, January 28, 2013

Play Connoisseurs or Play Snobs?!

I've been thinking a lot this week about 'expertise' and 'connoisseurship' as Eisner discusses, and pondering: In our attempts to gain more expert knowledge and understanding of play and what it means to be a player, are we in danger of becoming 'snobs' about play? So many of the people I've met who have been truly, amazingly, undeniable connoisserus of their craft, knowledge, field, tend to be a little...well...

Let me ramble a bit to try to sort this out. The people I know who fancy themselves wine experts are among the worst. Ever gone to one of their homes and brought what you thought was a nice bottle of wine only to hear you were made fun of by the hosts after you left? Well I have. How about going to dinner with true wine 'experts' and having to wait endlessly while they search for the perfect wine that will go with your lasagna and their fish? Oh my! They shake their head when I reveal that I'm happy with "3 buck Chuck" from the grocery store and can't really tell the difference!

I had a friend in college who was a "sound expert" who cringed when he would enter my dorm room and hear the sound coming out of my cheap speakers from my stereo system. I didn't know a woofer from a tweater, or whatever (still don't, and don't care) but I knew what I liked and enjoyed the music from my old turntable and cheap speakers.

I am always irritated when I read critical reviews of books, movies or art that I have found that I "love," only to find that I shouldn't have because they were 'derivative' or 'disappointing,' or even 'ghastly' by those who "know" better.  

Is being  a true connoisseur a blessing or a curse?  Certainly I'm not in danger of reaching the level of connoisseur of play, but perhaps I don't wish to. Just like my wine and my music and my movies, I think I prefer to be able to enjoy play without it meeting some standard of excellence defined by someone else. I know it when I see it. I know it when I feel it. I know when I'm enjoying it without someone else telling me it is 'good' or 'bad' or 'right' or 'wrong.'

So there.



4 comments:

  1. I'd rather be spunky than skunky, I guess :), but I worry...I hope I haven't offended all the connoissuers of various types in our class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 3 buck chuck. I make regular trips to Trader Joe's in Indianapolis because of it!

    ReplyDelete